Monday, February 25, 2008

ISSUE 22 - DJ YUMMY



ADRIANA/DJ Yummy

What types of music do play/prefer? My favorite is House music, especially house remixes of old songs. I am known for playing what's called "Baltimore house" or "Baltimore club." It's a mix of hip-hop beats at 120 to 135 beats per minute. Usually the music has low production quality, giving it that old-school rap sound. Lately the crowds have been asking for a lot of mash-up stuff. I put my own spin on it by playing a popular record for a few bars, then dropping a Baltimore house beat on top of it. I do spin some hip-hop but it’s a shame what has happened to that form of music. It started out so fun and original and now it just plain sucks. There are no new decent artists. It’s just all crap shoved down out throats by MTV. I miss the old days of rap.

How did you get into dj-ing? I started in the business as a bartender in a beach/party town in Maryland called Ocean City. My favorite thing in the world to do is go out dancing, but I was always frustrated that the DJs in the area were not as entertaining as those in bigger cities. I always wondered why DJs would just sit quietly behind the booth like a human jukebox. I felt that DJs should be as energetic and animated as bands are on stage. The crowd feeds off the performer’s energy. Motion creates emotion. Finally I had someone teach me the basics of music and equipment, and I took it from there. I really think that dancing had a lot to do with me grasping the concept of pitch, tempo, and mixing.





What separates your local scene from others you've been to? I actually am part of a couple of scenes. In the summer, I live in Ocean City MD. The rest of the year I live in Baltimore. The scene in Ocean City is a blast. I play to enormous crowds every night and do a lot of outdoor parties on the beach or at pool bars. It's just such a fun crowd to play to because everyone is drunk and on vacation. Musically, this area hasn't caught up with the rest of the world, but that's just part of the laid back lifestyle here.





Do you create your own mixes? Yes, I work with a producer and we've been working on original stuff. I've been contacted by some record companies who are anxious to get my stuff on the shelves already.





What’s the most exciting thing so far in your career? The first time I saw my name on a billboard. I called my mom right away. I also just recently saw my face on a T-shirt. That was pretty cool. Bud Light is my sponsor, so actually getting paid to drink good beer is another high point! Truthfully though, the greatest is seeing a packed dance floor when everyone is dancing and smiling and having a great time. It's very rewarding when people tell me that they came to see me again because of what a good time they had with me the last time. I work very hard when I'm performing, including jumping out of the DJ booth to dance in the middle of the crowd.

Lastly, what about you no one knows or would be surprised to know? When I spin at clubs it's all house music and hip-hop, but when I'm alone...I belt out the country music at the top of my lungs!

No comments: