Tuesday, May 4, 2010

DIAMOND CENTER Q&A



Q&A with

The Diamond Center's

Kyle Harris



How long has the band been together?

We started writing Jan of '07

You’ve grown from a duo by adding Brandi Price’s sister. Is the bandcontinuing to grow/add new members?
It is. In fact since moving to Richmond, (Jana didn't move) we have a bass player (Will Godwin), and 2! drummers (Tim Falen & Willis Thompson {also of Thao & the Get Down Stay Down}) both playing in the standup/ no cymbal style that Jana started. If I had my way, we'd be and 11 piece!I’ve read The Diamond Center began as a project in Athens, Georgia.

Were Kyle and Brandi attending college there at the time and why was it viewed as a project?
We were both living in Athens, I (Kyle) had been in bands in and around Athens/Atlanta for several years including one with Brandi. We had mostly been bass players in other groups. Upon writing, we realized we both wanted to play more guitar. We wrote 10 songs in Jan-Feb and recruited some friends in Athens to play and record with us. By March, we had a cd-r only release- CLAWS & FLAWS.

To what degree is The Diamond Center different from its earliest incarnation? How did areas you’ve lived in – Lubbock or Athens, influence the music that you’ve made?
For the first batch of songs, we were just trying somewhat different styles. It's a little more erratic. Moving to Lubbock really helped us find our sound. The landscape is very flat. Scrub desert, high winds, tumbleweeds, prairie dogs, the whole west Texas bit. We spent time in New Mexico and Marfa, Tx., just exploring. That really influenced our creepy, reverb-y sound. After incorporating Jana on drums, with her stripped down set and playing style, it really solidified. The heartbeat behind the haze.

What did you draw on or were taken by as an artist and as musicians?
Again, the landscape was a major role in our sound. There is desolation when you are away from big cities and trees. I grew up in Ga where there was always a canopy of trees and hills. It really changed me for the better.

What prompted the move from Lubbock, Texas to Richmond, Virginia?
Brandi got accepted into the grad program for Graphic Design at VCU. Plus, we're drifters. It was time.

You recorded My Only Companion in Kyle Harris’ home. How did thecomfort and close quarters help craft the album?
I couldn't imagine capturing those feelings in a studio. There is so much pressure, time is money. It was my first venture into recording other than demos. I figured, why try to explain things to someone else. We considered going back to Athens and recording with Joe McMullen (who did our first cd), but it wasn't financially feasible. He mastered it for us. I did it all in Garageband. For our lo-fi psych layers, it worked out just fine, I think.My Only Companion is incongruent in terms of production. It sounds as if Phil Spector recorded a western folk album with psychedelic shades yet it also sounds lo-fi and at-a-distance.

Did you know specifically what you wanted going in to record the album?
I did. I was listening to a lot of Spector and Joe Meek recordings at the time. I wanted it to be lush. I believe there is strength in ambiguity. I don't want to hear every little nuance. You wouldn't hear it live like that. I'm the same way when I look at a painting- Isquint. Also the way I cook. I never use recipes. I don't like straight lines. The sound was very intentional. I basically took what I like about other recordings and applied it. If you listen to an old Stax recording, you don't hear every kick drum beat, it is a wholesound. Echo and reverb make my head turn.The album has a carnival/travelling vibe to it.

Is life on the road more attractive than settling down? How does travel and those experiences shape your artistry?
Travel is a huge part of our lives. We try to get out as much as possible, playing or otherwise. Both Brandi and I are stimulation junkies. We love meeting new people and seeing new things. We take field recordings and video on our phones all the time. Our music and art is a direct reflection of our surroundings. Nature and society's impact is much more interesting to us than boy meets girl blah blah blah. Not that our music isn't personal, just vague, like life. The album is marvelous at conjuring imagery via its complex soundscape. The tribal beats and echoing music bring to mind empty fields, David Lynch films and sixties-era love songs.

What were you trying to create with this album? Were there themes you specifically wanted to invest in?
Thank you. We actually get the Lynch reference a good bit. In fact one of the songs on the cd was written with a character from Twin Peaks in mind. We did try to create an album. Period. Front to back. We spent a great deal of time with the sequencing of the songs. I think they can stand alone, but I always recommend a front to back listen. Maybe in the dark, or when it's raining. Or a Sunday morning. I had one friend say she was listening while driving and damn near wrecked from being caught up in it. Wonderful compliment. Glad she was safe.

Have you performed the album at shows in Richmond? Are you able to recreate the ethereal and spare qualities of the album at live shows?
We have started to play in Richmond. Brandi's school schedule is pretty hectic, so we have to juggle that. We try to create the ethereal sounds live, but when it boils down, we're a rock band. I get into what is referred to by Tim (drums) as a trance state when we play. I kind of just lose track and space out. Luckily, the others know what’s going on. The songs take on a life of there own, for sure. Never the same twice. Is that good or bad? That's why it's important to surround yourself with good players.
The album’s sound is familiar to bands like Spindrift or The Love Language. Is this type of sound a move by musicians to a more accurate sound, one less produced in a world of AutoTune and overly slick production?
Perhaps and thank you. We love those bands. I personally use music as an escape. So, let’s get way out there.

How is My Only Companion available - as cd, downloads or vinyl?
Cd, and digital download. Hopefully we can put it out on vinyl one day. I'd love to see the artwork that big.

No comments: